“Smishing” Combines SMS Messaging and Phishing
Smishing is a process that cons you to download malware on your smart phone, so that the scammer can gain personal data when you conduct mobile banking or other financial related activities.
What you need to know about Smishing:
- SMS messages are sent asking you to download free virus protection or malware software
- SMS messages that entice you to click a link, which automatically downloads the virus
How to protect yourself against Smishing:
- Protect your smart phone the same way you protect your desktop.
- Most businesses will not solicit your personal information through text.
- Call the business and verify that they sent the text to validate data.