Vacation season is in full swing and with it comes plans for traveling, whether it be by car or plane. According to a recent article from Forbes, the U.S. Travel Association expects Americans to spend a staggering $95 billion over the summer season. It’s also estimated that six in 10 Americans plan to take at least one trip this summer. With traveling comes the most important thing you can do to make it less stressful – planning.
As you get ready to embark on a well-deserved vacation, consider these tips to ease travel-related anxiety, so you can enjoy your time away – whether your journey takes you across state lines or out of the country.
1. Create a budget. Once you have determined your travel destination, give some thought as to how much it will cost. Typical expenses will include transportation, if you plan to fly, lodging, food, activities such as sight seeing tours, and souvenirs from your trip.
2. Think mini getaway. Taking a shorter trip instead of a longer one not only requires less planning, but is generally less expensive. According to Valuepenguin.com, the average cost of a 4-night stay within the U.S. was $581 instead of shelling out $3,251 for a 12-night stay outside of the country.
3. Plan in advance. Planning for a trip can be stressful. Therefore, spend time researching destinations, making reservations, putting together an itinerary, as well as creating a budget. Credit Karma offers 4 simple strategies to help you plan an affordable summer vacation.
4. Control what you can. Unexpected surprises, such as flight delays, lost or stolen items can quickly put a damper on your vacation. You can control some of these unanticipated issues with travel insurance which can help recoup some of your expenses, particularly with airfare. Credit cards designed for travel, such as Southwest Airlines, offer protections for delayed flights, lost luggage, trip cancellations, accident insurance, and more.
5. Accessing bank accounts abroad. If your travel takes you outside the U.S., be sure to inform your bank of your plans, so you can access your account while away. Some banks, like Franklin Savings Bank, offer the ability to set controls within their mobile banking app to enable you to select countries where you will be visiting to ensure your debit card can be used.
We are always here to offer our assistance with any questions you may have about traveling stress-free this summer. Wherever your travels may take you, we hope you find these tips useful in planning your summer trip.